19 June 2022

2022 FIDE Candidates Chess Tournament Underway

The Candidates Chess Tournament is a tournament between 8 of the best chess players in the world. The winner of the Candidates Tournament will face the current World Champion, Magnus Carlsen, in 2023. The tournament is in Madrid, Spain. It started Friday and runs until July 5th.

FIDE is the Fédération Internationale des Échecs or the World Chess Federation in English. It is the governing body for chess on the world stage.

I know most of you are not interested, and even though I am interested, an individual game at this level can literally take hours. You can often replay the games later, though I have not looked for any on Chess.com. I would guess that they are there somewhere.

The format is a double round-robin. Each player plays ever other player twice, for a total of 14 matches played by each candidate. A win earns 1 point, and a draw earns ½ point.

As for the length of the games the time control for each player "is 120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 moves, then 15 minutes for the rest of the game with a 30-second increment per move starting on move 61." When you multiply by 2 (for each player) you can see that the game can easily last 6 hours or more.

The complete details on the format of the competition are at the link above.

There was a time I thought I was a pretty good chess player. And then I met my college chess team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.