16 January 2021

Cold

So I was watching another Rick Beato video recently, and he was interviewing Tim Pierce, a great session guitarist out of LA.

They mentioned that some Country Music had taken over the style of songwriting abandoned by Pop Music and Rock in the 1990s, in favor of the dreck we usually get today under the heading of Pop Music today.

Then, a few days later, I was listening to WXRT, Chicago's Finest Rock, and this song came across the stream. I quite like it. Imagine my surprise to find that it is technically considered a Country song. Doesn't sound all that Country to me.

Today's song reminds me of Southern Rock. Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. But the arrangement is more complicated than we would have heard in the 1970s.

This is "Cold" by Chris Stapleton, from his album Starting Over. It was released in November of last year. The guitar solo that starts at about 3 minutes and 5 seconds in is quite nice.

‡ Tim Pierce preformed on many albums, the one that came up in the video was "I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)" by Meatloaf. If you haven't heard the album version, it is 3 or 4 times as long as "single" version, which is about 5 minutes if memory serves. Maybe I should feature that song... Even the 5 minute version dominated the charts, and it broke all the "rules." It would never be produced today. Not in America, anyway.

The Rick Beato video can be found at the following link: Is today’s Music just a Laptop and a Celebrity? I would answer that as "Yes, and it sucks."

Pop music today is a singer who wants to famous, "music" that comes off a PC, Auto-Tune and very little in the way of songwriting, or arranging. Dreck.

1 comment:

  1. This also strikes me as blues, going back to the blues country rock mix that was common late 50's into the 60's

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.