03 December 2020

The "Top 50" on Spotify

The Charts on Spotify are usually disappointing. Part of me always feels like I should give Pop Music a chance, but so much of it today is just awful. The song-writing is bad, the lyrics are offensive, in a lot of cases, everything is canned and there is way too much use of autotune, I'm guessing because people can't actually sing worth a damn.

This time of the year, it isn't surprising to see Christmas songs. I still think it is too early, but at least we are past Thanksgiving.

But what is surprising is to see some classics. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams, "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" by Frank Sinatra, and a version of the same song by Dean Martin. "Feliz Navidad" by José Feliciano is in there as is "Sleigh Ride" by the Ronettes, and "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole. (You just have to love Cole's voice.) There is a lot more modern stuff too, and even some stuff I think is new this year. Also the 2011 remastered version of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" is on the list (though low). I never liked that song, but it is better than some of the drek that passes for popular music today.

So what does it mean? While I think American's taste in music is mostly awful, this does give me a glimmer of hope. But then this is the 2 weeks out of the year that I am not sick of Christmas music. Before Thanksgiving I object on the grounds that it is not the Christmas season, and then it is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.