05 December 2020

Glory Box

Trip Hop is a style of music that doesn't usually speak to me. But maybe I need to reconsider that. Music with the level of energy that is in today's song is the sort of thing I listen to in the evenings, but if I'm reading, I don't want lyrics, and have settled on various types of jazz. Mostly.

Trip-hop, genre of atmospheric down-tempo music, influenced by movie sound tracks, 1970s funk, and cool jazz and usually created using samples.

The name of the genre, Trip Hop, was coined by the UK press and grabbed by the people running the UK music industry, which is why it is fairly meaningless as an actual description of the music. In other words it is the creation of two groups of people least likely to know anything about anything. Except what they saw 2 minutes ago.

I stumbled across this song when a portion of it was used in the soundtrack of the TV show Lucifer, which I think is a very funny show.

Portishead is a band out of England. (They are named after a town near where they formed the band, Portishead, Sommerset.) They are considered one of the pioneers of Trip Hop.

This is "Glory Box" by Portishead from their 1994 debut album Dummy. Well, actually this is the 2018 remastered version of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.