25 April 2024

The Other McCain Takes up His Role as Grammar Police

Because everyone is entitled to a pet peeve or two. It’s ‘Protester,’ NOT ‘Protestor,’ Dammit!

Why do you do this to me, Babylon Bee? For more than 20 years, going back to when I was an assistant national editor at The Washington Times, this has been one of my pet peeves. There is no such thing as a “protestor.” The correct word is protester. I can explain very clearly why this is so, and why allegedly “educated” people keep making this mistake.

Here is the song "Word Crimes" by Al Yankovic. Can't imagine why that popped into my mind.

Of course not everyone agrees. The Content Authority - Protestor Vs Protester: What’s The Correct Word To Use?

According to prominent dictionaries like Merriam-Webster and Oxford, both spellings, “protester” and “protestor,” are correct. Both words refer to the person partaking in a protest singly or in a group. A protestor/protester also states a solemn declaration or dissents from an established policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.