02 March 2024

Warning Shots in Ohio

I don't know how I feel about this. Warning shots get ‘self-defense’ protections too, Ohio Supreme Court rules

Firing a warning shot in lieu of shooting a person can still be considered by courts as an act of self-defense, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled on Thursday.

In a split decision, the court ruled in favor of Tyler Wilson, who was convicted on charges of felonious assault with a firearm but not guilty of attempted murder. Four of the justices reversed lower court rulings that found a claim of self-defense isn’t viable from a person who didn’t shoot to wound or kill. But the Supreme Court held that Wilson’s shooting with a stated intent to “back [an aggressor] off” is protected by Ohio’s self-defense law

My position has been, mostly due to the way I understood the law in Florida and Ohio, is that if you have time to fire a warning shot, you have time to do something else. And the time to fire at a person hasn't come.

I think I still feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.