25 February 2024

How To Help Someone Select a Firearm

When I was an NRA safety instructor there were 2 things that drove me crazy. One was husbands/fathers/boyfriends who bought the gun they used for the women in their life. ("It's the best; that's why I use it!") The other was men who bought .22 LR pistols.

In the real world, a gun needs to fit your hand, the way a shoe fits your foot. What works for you, might not work for someone else.

This article avoids those issues, and concentrates on helping someone find what works for them. Refreshing to say the least. Arming My Daughter Part II: Sampling Mid-Size Nines | An Official Journal Of The NRA

Last year, as my daughter Laney prepared to move out of state and enter the job market, she asked for some range sessions oriented toward home defense. I wrote about the experience in the September 2023 American Rifleman magazine issue and shared some of the range results. I had suspected that my daughter’s results as a petite young woman would be interesting to readers who also might know a first-time gun owner working through similar choices, as well as shooters who find that they have less grip strength than they once had.

As I went through all of the data for the article and saw how she struggled with the micro-sized 9 mm Luger, a natural question jumped out: How would she do with a larger 9 mm handgun? A few months later, she came out to the range with me to find out.

Click thru for the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.