11 November 2023

What If You Called 911 and Had to Wait 20 Minutes for the Call to Be Answered?

A lot of bad things can happen in 20 minutes. Houses can burn out of control. People can die from heart attacks. Oakland city leaders dig for what led to failing 911 system, steps to move forward

I'm shocked to discover that Oakland has (among) the worst 911 answering times in the state of California.

Two Oakland city councilmembers are pressing staff for action and answers as they try to determine why the city’s 911 and non-emergency answering times are among the worst in the state. 911 and non-emergency calls are answered by the same emergency communication center in Oakland.

While they don't provide statistics from the call center, on of the council members was quoted about the situation.

“Sometimes, I’m hearing 10, 15, 20 minutes. I mean that’s ridiculous…20 minute hold time, someone has a heart attack, they’re gone,” [Councilman Dan Kalb] said. “I’ve never heard the stories that I’ve been hearing over the past several months.”

So what is the budget of Oakland, and what are they spending money on that is more important than 911 and public safety? I bet they have a Diversity and Inclusion department. I also bet that they are spending money on sex education in kindergarten. I wonder if they spent money on keeping or luring professional sports teams to the city.

If cities can't provide some basic level of services, including public safety, everyone who can leave, will leave. Chicago is beginning to see that, as are other cities. I don't know what the situation in Oakland, CA is on that score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.