08 September 2023

Professor Yamane's Student Range Field Trip

Professor David Yamane at Gun Curious brings us the following: Sociology of Guns Student Range Field Trip Overview (Light Over Heat #64)

For the past 9 years Professor Yamane has run a seminar course on the Sociology of Guns. It starts with a field trip to the range, where students may, but don't have to, shoot 3 guns. They are a .22 LR Ruger, a 9mm semiautomatic pistol, and an AR-style rifle.

In addition to the usual reading list, he brings in various guest speakers to the seminar to discuss various aspects of gun culture. I'm sure I will have more posts on this topic as the term progresses.

As in previous years, my goal is not to make these students proficient shooters or to develop their marksmanship, but simply to give them enough instruction to safely hold and fire three different guns: a Ruger Mark III .22LR semi-automatic pistol, a Glock 48 9mm semi-automatic pistol, and an AR-style .223 semi-automatic rifle.

There is more at the link, including his field-trip safety instruction videos, which students are supposed to watch before meeting at the range.

He is usually given permission by at least some of his students to publish some of their essays from the seminar. I find them fascinating. I also find that Professor Yamane's work is important and worth supporting, to the limited extent that I can. (You can buy him a coffee at a link he provides to help with things like ammo expenses, and the like.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.