17 December 2022

Diamonds & Rust

I'm never really sure how I feel about Joan Baez. She has a great voice, though I haven't heard her sing in a long time. She certainly had a wonderful voice in her youth. Sometimes, I just didn't like the songwriting, or maybe it was the lyrics I didn't like. I'm not sure, but there is no denying that some of her work is top-rate.

This song is "Diamonds & Rust" by Joan Baez. It was the title song from her 1975 album. This was a top 40 hit for her. It isn't hard to see why. (The vibrato reminds me of Freddie Mercury of Queen; the singing is at that level.)

Sometimes social media does serve a purpose; it reminded me of this song in some context in the middle of November. I'm afraid I don't remember who brought it up.

3 comments:

  1. If I didn't ignore the politics of celebrities and entertainers I would lose a great deal of things that make enjoyable. For me, that would especially be true of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, or I would be left listening to 1970s Country & Western.

      But some artists hit you over the head with their politics more than others. Or at least that is how it used to be. We didn't have to tell them to "Shut up and sing" until the late 1990s or early 2000s.

      Delete
  2. I prefer Judas Preist's version of the song.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.