06 November 2022

Uvalde Inquiry Continues. I Think It is All for Show

The Cops don't owe you protection. I doubt that they owe protection to elementary school kids. Four Uvalde shooting victims left classrooms alive. Investigators are reviewing whether a faster response could have saved them.

The criminal justice system in Texas, and in Uvalde in particular, has a public relations nightmare on its hands. It has to be seen doing something, even if it can do nothing.

There is a lot of detail, in what happened when, and what the Texas Rangers are doing. But the key statement comes toward the end of the article.

“I will be unable to make a decision as to potential charges on anyone, including law enforcement, until I receive the complete investigation,” [district attorney in Uvalde, Christina] Mitchell said. “I have consistently stated that if the criminal investigation reveals any conduct or lack of conduct which meets the elements of a criminal offense in the state of Texas, I will seek an indictment by a Uvalde grand jury.”

I don't think she will find that criminal offense. The cops do not owe you protection. Not legally. I'm no lawyer but I doubt this will change with this case.

And as a reminder of the level of failure.

Nearly 400 law enforcement officers responded to the shooting, but none breached the classroom full of kids where the gunman was for more than an hour after the shooting began, even as some children in the rooms called 911 for help.

I think that SCOTUS should revisit that "the cops don't have to do shit" stance that they have adopted in a couple of cases. I think "dereliction of duty" should be a thing again. I think those 400 officers should resign in shame and never work in law enforcement again. I don't think any of that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.