22 October 2022

Venus Rising

Charlotte Wessels was the lead singer of the band Delain, until quite recently, when all the members had a falling out with the principle song-writer/Keyboard player over creative differences. Since he owns the rights to the band's name, they all quit. I always thought that Delain was special because of Charlotte Wessels' voice.

Here is what she had to say about today's song:

Venus Rising was inspired by Botticelli‘s painting The Birth Of Venus. Even though she was modeled after the ideals of her time, I take comfort from the fact that she never had to cover up or uncover, be louder or more soft spoken, grow bigger or smaller, but just rises from the waves and comes into power unaffected by expectations, regulations and injustices that reign in the real world. We recorded the video for the song last week, and I couldn’t stop thinking about the brave women of Iran, and how they’re fighting for their most basic human rights at this very moment. It is heartbreaking and in my mind the song is dedicated to them. #MahsaAmini.

She published two albums this year for a start to a solo career. So let's listen to a song.

This song is "Venus Rising" by Charlotte Wessels from her new album Tales From Six Feet Under Vol. II. That album came out 7 October 2022. Volume 1 came out in June. I'm sure I will get that soon enough.

Here is a link to what I had to say when the Delain I loved fell apart.

2 comments:

  1. I see you referenced Nightwish in your earlier post. They and Delain both suffer(ed) from keyboard musical genius/asshole syndrome. I still really enjoy their music but have to separate the music from low quality personalities involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish learned that lesson, I think, after they pissed off everyone over Tarja. When Marko Hietala retired from music, Tuomas said that if Floor quits that will be the end of Nightwish.

      As for Delain, I didn't really like their last album before Charlotte W. and company quit. And I can't tell you if the new Delain - he has hired a bunch of musicians - has put out a new album because I don't care.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.