02 September 2022

Someone Associated With this Show Couldn't Find a Negative Review

They apparently don't have access to the internet. CHRISTOPHER STEVENS reviews The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power | Daily Mail Online

I haven't seen The Rings of Power, and I probably won't see it. I've been a fan of Tolkien's work for close to 50 years. I won't pay to watch it bastardized. But more on that later.

Turkey is not the word. No turkey, however bloated and stupid, could ever be big enough to convey the mesmerising awfulness of Amazon's billion dollar Tolkien epic.

This is a disaster dragon – plucked, spatchcocked, with a tankerload of Paxo stuffed up its fundament, roasted and served with soggy sprouts.

The cretins in Hollywood don't have the creativity to produce anything new, so they feel it is incumbent on them to shit all over beloved franchises to tell "their stories." Are they going to do Shakespeare next? I wouldn't be surprised.

There's no doubt we can see the budget. It casts a throbbing glow over the screen like a chestful of gold. Ultra-high definition computer graphics paint ivory cities in mountain passes and conjure gigantic monsters in palaces of dark magic.

But magnificent visuals are meaningless if nobody knows who the audience is meant to be. And it's impossible to guess whether The Rings Of Power is meant for children, for hardcore fans or for general viewers – because it fails them all.

Grace Randolph, at Beyond The Trailer calls Galadriel, the main protagonist of the show, incredibly unlikable. That is on top of the fact she says that it feels like sections of the story are missing. That they censored a story like Game of Thrones to get a "G" rating, but just cut out bits. They didn't fill in with anything like a story. She said it feels like there is no story. And I'm not even sure how independent Grace Randolph is as a reviewer.

And Grace Randolph doesn't come close to what Nerdrotic has had to say, and he hasn't even gotten his official review published. Gary at Nerdrotic drove to see the in-theater opening 3 hours from his home. What was his gut reaction, after that? "It's bad."

As far as my love of Tolkien's works go... I was given a copy of Lord of the Rings for Christmas when I was about 13 or 14. I have owned the BBC radio dramatization (something like 15 cassette tapes), the unabridged audio book (20-some CDs), the movies, (both the theatrical edition, and the extended edition Blu-Ray.) etc. While I don't currently have a copy of The Silmarillion, I've owned that in past. The only one of the books I don't care for is The Hobbit, and to be fair I probably have not read that in 40 years.

I was Okay with the changes that Peter Jackson made in his movies: the omission of Tom Bombadill, the changes to Boromir's story, the unwinding of stories told in flashback, and that Strider was carrying around a sword he could actually fight with. But Peter Jackson tried to bring Tolkien's work to the screen, to tell the story Tolkien wrote. Jackson could tell his own story another time. He has told other stories.

I fully expect that the Woke scolds in Hollywood will decide that they need to update Shakespeare. After all they are making a Robin Hood TV show where Robin is a black female. That should be "wonderful." Or awful. I'm sure she will also be a Mary Sue.

‡ Paxo is a brand of stuffing sold in the UK. I had to look it up to be sure.

5 comments:

  1. Christopher Steven's Daily Mail review has gone awol. $1B can buy a lot of positive publicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is working for me, late in the afternoon. Whatever was wrong, it is back now.

      This is the most popular review I've seen. It has been referenced in several YouTube fan reviews. I think the first place I saw it was on Critical Drinker's channel, but Disparu has a video mostly devoted to it. (At least I think it was Disparu.)

      Then next most popular review is at Entertainment Weekly: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power review: Amazon's prequel is kind of a catastrophe.

      That review is notable because like the rest of the access media - they depend on access to the stuff the studios only show to their "special friends" - they posted any number of reviews saying that "this is simply AMAZING!"

      But if they do that now, everyone will know that they are full of shite. And so, at long last, they are telling the Truth. I think it was HeelVsBabyface that brought up this to my attention.

      Delete
  2. The published link, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11164965/CHRISTOPHER-STEVENS-reviews-Lord-Rings-Rings-Power.html, takes me straight to this. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/unavailable/index.html. Through a Tor browser, however, it works perfectly. Someone has censored my access from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often blocked by sites when they recognize that I am using a VPN.

      Though why they would block Australia and not TOR seems odd to me. Maybe they think they would block some deserving 3rd World country and not just people they don't like down-under.

      Delete
  3. I realized that I didn't note Grace Randolph called Galadriel in this travesty both a Elvish Karen - she would like to speak to the manager - and a Mary Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.