03 September 2022

Norupo

Heilung is a group that borrows very heavily from Norse folk music. This together with the theatrics - Maria Franz has some of the best corpse-paint of any singer on the Metal circuit - appeals to me. And they do sing at Metal festivals. One of their first public performances was at Midgardsblot Metalfestival in 2017.

Here is how the band is described on their label's website.

Since its inception in 2015, the enigmatic ritual collective HEILUNG has been paving melodic paths to the past with their unique and mystifying sound. Evading all conventional genre tags and the confines of any specific labels, the group aptly self-describes their sound as “amplified history,” emphasizing their ability to connect modern society with the rudiments of humanity’s beginnings through music.

The song today is in Old Norse, so a translation of the lyrics might be useful.

This song is "Norupo" by Heilung from their 2019 album Futha. I have set the video and the link to skip the first portion of the video, because 90 seconds of pure self-indulgence on the part of the cinematographer is not worth it. If that offends you, you can reset it to start at the beginning.

And even though they do sing at Metal festivals, I don't hear them as Metal. So here we are on a Saturday morning.

I had this song stuck in my head for most of one week, in the month of August. I'm not sure if this is a warning or not...

2 comments:

  1. A yes Heilung, Anoana off of their newest album is wonderful and the video that goes along with it is amazing. Ancient female magic and spirituality and power all on display. Can't recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Anoana in the drafts folder (or maybe it is scheduled already)

      I like the music, but I find the video - like most videos - detracts from the music.

      When Heilung released Futha, they released an audio-only version of Norupo. I almost used that version today. Aside from the 2 minutes what the fuck was that at the beginning of this video, this is a better version of the song. (There is one key difference.)

      Anyway this is an amazing song, by an amazing group of - somewhat misunderstood - musicians.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.