27 July 2022

Malagueña

More guitar greatness from an unexpected place? Sure.

While I was putting together a (not so) recent post on Glen Campbell's guitar playing, the name of Roy Clark kept coming up. So I thought I would highlight his guitar playing. He was also an amazing guitar player who gets ignored because he mostly played country music. And because in addition to being a great guitar player he was an entertainer. Today's song is not country; it is Flamenco.

I have no idea what show this performance was recorded from in 1988, but Roy joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1987, so that may have been where it was recorded. He also played the stages in Branson, Missouri regularly so it might have been there as well.

One of the things I love about this performance, is that a broken string doesn't slow him down at all. I don't know if his using a 12-string guitar for this made that easier or harder.

This song is "Malaguena" by Roy Clark recorded in 1988.

Roy Clark also did this song on the TV show The Odd Couple from 1971 that is also killer. You can find that version at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.