22 July 2022

Electric Vehicles Are Disposable.

This is sad, but not surprising, not to some of us anyway. Florida family drives into electric car problem: a replacement battery costs more than vehicle itself | Fox Business

They bought a 17-year old a 2014 electric car with "about" 60,000 miles on it. They paid $11,000. Six months later it was dead.

She told the news outlet that the car stopped running after taking it to a repair shop, and the family eventually found out that the car's battery would need to be replaced.

The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

And it would be one thing if you could get the car repaired for that amount of money, but the battery can't be found at any price.

However, the family found out that there weren't any batteries of that type available anymore because the Ford model is discontinued.

They don't say how many miles the 17-year-old put on the car in 6 months, but I think it would be safe to assume it has less than 75,000 miles.

As I've mentioned before, my current vehicle is from 2007 and it has more than a quarter of a million miles on it. I can still get it repaired, I could probably put a new engine in it if it was needed, but I doubt it will come to that. When it only had 235,000 miles on it, the transmission failed, and I had to have it rebuilt. Parts were available.

This is not the first time that someone found out about the cost of replacing an electric car's battery. See my post, The Joys of Owning a Sparky Car for 2 stories about this. The first is about a guy with an 8-year-old Mercedes, who was quoted more the $20,000 to purchase and install a new battery, and the second is about a Finnish man, Tuomas Katainen, who was quoted $23,000 to replace the battery in his Tesla. So he blew it up.

I always thought that "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" was a hallmark of the environmental movement. Cars that last less than 100,000 miles are not ecologically sound, not even if they run on unicorn farts. And EVs run on coal and natural gas, for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.