12 June 2022

Cowboy Bebop - How To Kill A Show In 5 Easy Steps

Cowboy Bebop was the theme of Saturday's Musical Interlude, so I thought I would do some research to see if it was worth my time to try and find a way to see the new live version. I guess I won't bother.

Why? Because of this review by The Critical Drinker — The Drinker's Five Steps for Franchise Destruction:

It's a bit like that 12-steps program that Gary is always trying to get me into, except this one actually works.
  1. Pick a really popular IP with a loyal Fan Base (i.e. Choose a Victim)
  2. Update it for "Modern Audiences" (i.e. Totally Fuck it Up)
  3. Antagonize the Fan Base prior to release (i.e. Do a Rian Johnson)
  4. Bite the Dust (i.e. Get Canceled due to Low Ratings)
  5. Not My Fault (i.e. Blame the Fan Base for steps 1 to 4)

They followed that 5-step program to the letter. And they doubled down on the part about antagonizing the fan base. Drinker's rule of "If in doubt, shut the fuck up" should be followed by more people.

And Drinker's comments to the "creatives" and executives behind the live action Cowboy Bebop is classic.

There's a very obvious reason why so many people watch anime, there's a reason that a single manga [Japanese comic book] can outsell the entire US comic book industry, and that reason is very simple. It's not made by people like you.

This is Critical Drinker's review: Cowboy Bebop - How To Kill A Show In 5 Easy Steps

There are a lot of reviews and comments on the live action Cowboy Bebop, most boil down to "take the time to watch or re-watch the original." I guess that's what I will try to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.