15 December 2021

The British Are Fascinated By Self-defense in the USA

Probably because they have been barred from defending themselves for some time. Otherwise it is hard to explain why I can often find stories in the UK media about self-defense instances that don't even get national attention in the US. Washington man shoots dead one burglar and injures another after they burst into his home at 4.30am� | Daily Mail Online

I actually had a post on this incident on Saturday. The break-in actually happened at 4:20 AM on Thursday morning.

You can click thru for the details of the incident; what I find interesting are the statement made by the homeowner, and the details pointed out by the British media.

'It kind of goes back to your rights. I have the right to carry and I have the right to protect myself and I have the right to protect my property,' Smith said. 'Protect yourself. That doesn't mean go looking for it, that means just be ready.'

And the fact that the homeowner was not arrested, though included in the police statement, is emphasized. I think they emphasize it because it is foreign to their way of thinking.

Police said Smith has not been arrested and is not expected to be charged.

'The detectives will finish the investigation and forward the case to the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office for review,' the sheriff's department said in a statement.

There is more from the homeowner, and a video from the local Fox Affiliate. Click thru.

Saturday's post can be found at this link, but the article linked at the top does include all of the details of the incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.