27 December 2021

Antigone

Another, new to me, European Melodeath band with a female singer doing the Death Metal, Death Growl? Sure, why not. Melodeath is short for Melodic Death Metal.

Aephanemer is a French band. Don't worry, they sing in English, which I'm sure offends their sensibilities. According to Encyclopedia Metallum,

Aephanemer is a portmanteau of the two French words "éphémère" (ephemeral), and "fanée" (wilted).

Antigone (ann-TIG-ə-nee) is a play written by Sophocles in about 441 BC. It is a tragedy, and it is the 3rd of the Theban Plays.

I only tripped over Aephanemer and their new album just before Christmas, so I haven't heard enough of them to say whether or not I like them. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Marion Bascoul does a decent job with the Death Growl, and Martin Hamiche is a credible lead guitar player, but as usual, I'm not sure if I care for the songwriting. Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't.

This song is "Antigone" by Aephanemer, from their November, 2021 album A Dream of Wilderness.

1 comment:

  1. The vocal caterwauling is like nails on a chalkboard. Simply awful with no redeeming qualities whatsoever... which is a pity because the music has potential. Hard pass.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.