19 September 2021

After Action Reports (sort of) from Professor Yamane's Field Trip

Professor David Yamane leads a Sociology of Guns seminar at Wake Forest University. One of the first parts of the class is a field trip to a local gun store and range, where students are given the opportunity to shoot .22 long rifle, and 9mm pistols, and AR-15 rifle. They have the opportunity; no one is forced.

After that experience, the students each write a report on the trip, and if they give their prermission, Professor Yamane publishes those reports on his blog Gun Curious. Those reports are starting to appear.

First up, someone who shoots competitively. I’m Surprised This Trip and Class is Allowed (Fall 2021 Student Range Visit Reflection #1)

My circumstances are different from other students in several ways, notably in experience and physical considerations. I have a relatively extensive background in the gun community with a focus on competition and training that extends beyond the level of the average American gun owner.

Next we have Mixed Emotions and Complicated Views (Fall 2021 Student Range Visit Reflection #2)

As a young woman who grew up in a blue county of a red state, I understand that there are nuances to this debate that often get pushed aside for the sake of argument. Going to the Mocksville Veterans Gun Range complicated my view and understanding of my belief and opinions on this topic.

I'm sure there will be more on the trip, and I won't be able to highlight them all. You should however be reading Professor Yamane's blog regularly anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.