31 July 2021

Statistics on Recidivism from the DOJ

The least shocking news I've read this week, released prisoners are rearrested at high rates. Recidivism of Prisoners Released in 34 States in 2012: A 5-Year Follow-Up Period (2012–2017)

I can't decide if I'm surprised or not by these statistics.

Among state prisoners released in 2012 across 34 states, 62% were arrested within 3 years, and 71% were arrested within 5 years (figure 1).

Then there are the parole violations that resulted in "return to prison."

As I said, I can't decide if 71% recidivism is a surprise, or that it took 5 years for them to be rearrested is a surprise.

There are some issues with the data, which I suppose is why only 34 states are used in the study. The data from the other states was either not available or just horrible in terms of accuracy.

Hat tip to The Other McCain and 37% of Criminals Released From Prison Get Re-Arrested Within ONE YEAR. He notes...

And if you think crime is bad now, just remember: AOC wants to abolish prisons and turn all the criminals loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.