18 May 2021

The HMS Campbeltown and the Raid at St. Nazaire

I'm not sure how long-standing the British series on history, Timeline is, as I only tripped over it recently. I like Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear fame) and I like him more when he is being serious.

The only thing that surprised me about this, well I am always surprised by British WWII Commandos and their nerve and abilites in the face of overwhelming odds, is Clarkson's description of the raid as being little known. I know it shouldn't surprise me; Americans don't study British history, but I thought that the Brits would.

St. Nazaire was the site of a dry dock on the French coast. When it fell into German hands it had the capability of being a base of operations for the Bismark-class Battleship Tirpitz. To keep Tirpitz out of the Atlantic, the British needed to destroy that dry dock.

Anyway, it is a nicely done bit of World War II history. I think you may enjoy it.

Here is the video. The Legendary Commando Raid At St. Nazaire | The Greatest Raid Of All Time. It is about an hour - it is a Television show - so plan accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.