29 May 2021

The End

Today we have a song from 1967. Aside from being banned from The Ed Sullivan Show (for having explicit references to drugs in their songs) The Doors were apparently the first band to called Gothic Rock in print. (In a review of a 1967 concert written by John Stickney for The Williams Record.) And the darkness that defines Goth is certainly to be found in the lyrics of today's song.

I stumbled across a couple of playlists of modern Goth Music, and a few videos on the history of Goth. A genre near and dear to my heart. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus came out in 1979, and so just in time to influence a lot of the music I listened to in college. (That song is generally considered to be the 1st Goth Rock song of the established genre.) Bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, or the Cure would at least end up in the Goth genre. Some of the new stuff I found sounds surprisingly similar to the Post Punk (what the suits dubbed New Wave) songs I loved. I may or may not inflict some of the songs on you in the future.

You can find the lyrics for today's song at this link.

This song is "The End" by The Doors from their 1967 debut album The Doors. It has been used in many films and TV shows. Perhaps its most famous appearance is in the 1979 movie Apocalypse Now.

Hat tip for the 1st print reference of a Gothic Rock goes to Before Bauhaus: How Goth Became Goth

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of The Doors, this may amuse you:

    https://fritz-aviewfromthebeach.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-tale-of-two-cities.html

    I ran into Robby Krieger back when I was a snot-nosed high school student selling fish in Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.