04 April 2021

Are All of Your Eggs in One Big Tech Basket?

Let the exodus begin. Why popular YouTubers are building their own sites - BBC News

For a long time there have been tensions between those creating content on YouTube and the company providing the platform, ranging from disputes about ad revenue, to copyright problems, and even rows about the way videos are recommended to people,

Many successful YouTubers are now sizeable companies in their own right, and are seeking to safeguard their futures.

Hat tip to A Geek With Guns: A Glimmer of Hope for a Decentralized Internet.

If you don’t own your online services, you’re at the mercy of whoever does. This rule has always been true, but hasn’t been obvious until recently. Service providers have become increasingly tyrannical and arbitrary with the exercise of their control. More and more people are finding themselves banned from services like Facebook and YouTube. Compounding the issue is that the reasons given for the bans are often absurd and that’s assuming any any reasons is given at all.

And Yes, I know I am using Google. Though I have other email services for stuff that doesn't include this blogging nonsense. Also, I am not trying to make any money off this blogging thing. If I was, I wouldn't be using this service...

1 comment:

  1. If I was trying to make money, I would run my own server and an instance of the Ghost blogging software. You can even do this via your home internet connection - you have to use one of the services available from Cloudflare - and you need to provide your own off-site backups. That is provided you don't have too much traffic.

    There is no such thing as the cloud. There are only computers owned and controlled by other people.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.