14 January 2021

San Jose Discovers Fewer Cops Means Delays

Delays in 911 response time. San Jose: Police officers response times grow slower: A new report spells out San Jose’s ongoing challenge to speed up police response.

If shots are fired, then cops are there in minutes. Otherwise you wait.

“I used to always try to call the police, but now I feel like I’m just wasting my time,” [the owner of a local restaurant] said. “The only help I get from police and 911 is when weapons are around.”

And in the least surprising bit of news in a long time...

Sgt. Christian Camarillo of the San Jose Police Department ascribes the delayed response times to a combination of factors, including understaffing, challenges in hiring new police officers and the city’s expansive footprint. [my emphasis. Z-Deb]

Color me shocked.

Calling 911 is a fine thing to do, and to be fair, San Jose is trying to make sure that real emergencies get handled as fast as possible. But their definition of "real emergency" and that of the public doesn't seem to line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.