22 January 2021

Lubomir Kavalek, 1943-2021

Lubomir Kavalek in 1980

Czech-American Grandmaster dead at 77. Lubomir Kavalek, 1943-2021

People have never heard of Kavalek. (He defected from Czechoslovakia after Soviet tanks rolled into that county. He was actually in Poland at the time competing in a tournament.) He eventually made his way to America.

It was the Cold War and the era of Bobby Fischer. But still, Americans don't care about chess.

When he returned to Czechoslovakia in early 1990 after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Kavalek would say: "I thought I was in some sort of reversed zombie movie because everyone was smiling all the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.