19 December 2020

Tubular Bells

Most people, at least most who are old enough, have heard a short version of "Tubular Bells." It was used as the theme to the original 1973 version of the movie The Exorcist. And the short version did get a fair bit of radio time.

But the complete song was quite avant-garde at the time. A song that covered both sides of an album, for a total of 48 minutes and change.

I don't remember where I ran across the full version. I'm not quite old enough to have been attending the "right kind of party" in the early or mid-1970s. But I did hear it a bit somewhere. Maybe via one of my cousins.

I have no idea why I tripped over the full version again recently. And I can never decide if I actually like it or not. The short "radio edit" that was popular back in the 70s I am familiar with, and I suppose I like, though that just may be that I heard it so much back then.

This is the full version of "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield from the 1973 album of the same name. It was the first record released by Branson's Virgin Records.

The version that was relased as a single on a 45 (who remembers those?) can be found at this link. It is 3 minutes and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.