21 December 2020

Not A Word About Self-defense

Individual action and individual responsibility on a college campus? What am I thinking? Lauren McCluskey: The Tragic and Unnecessary Tale

Lauren McCluskey was a track and field athlete at the University of Utah. She met Melvin Rowland and dated him for a bit before she found out about his criminal past. She tried to break it off; he became a stalker and eventually shot her seven times, killing her. A couple of hours later he killed himself.

The parents, the students, everyone on the Left wants to blame the University instead of the dead guy. The University didn't make the world a safe place. Well, as I noted two years ago, Expecting “The System” To Protect You Is a Losing Proposition.

I still have no idea if firearms are allowed on the University of Utah campus. But it is clear that you cannot rely on the police. The Police have No Duty to protect you. Not even if you have a restraining order.

If you have a violent stalker, then what you are most in need of is a plan for your personal defense. I like high-velocity lead, but there are other options if that isn't your thing. Protesting that the University should make the world a safe space, or as they say in the article linked at the top of this post...

Brooke Martin says. “Justice needs to be served and our demands need to be met—no student should ever be worried about being killed on campus.”

Good luck with that. You would have to turn the campus into the equivalent of a high-security prison. And even that environment is not completely safe.

As I noted in June, in “The System” Has NO Duty to Protect You

I have no idea what the law in Utah is, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find that guns are prohibited items on campus. She was 21 years old; that is old enough to own a handgun. But handguns are bad. We are supposed to rely on the police to protect us. How did that work out? How will that work after the Left “defunds” the police?

I wonder what the status of "Defund the Police" is on the University of Utah campus. Do you think kids are protesting that the cops should be eliminated AND protesting that the cops need to make the University a Safe Space™ at the same time, or on consecutive days?

"Song of Myself" - Walt Whitman.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

It didn't make sense when I read it in High School. It makes less sense today, but that is the time that we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.