29 December 2020

Movies You Haven't Seen: Practical Magic

After a friend of mine and I worked ourselves into a food coma on Christmas Day, we decided to watch an old movie.

I usually review films that are not too well known. Practical Magic was was not obscure when it came out, still, I'm not sure how well known it is today. It opened well, but critics didn't like it, though that could be that it is a Chick Flick. Rotten Tomatoes has it listed as 22% Critics' score, and 73% audience score. It did not do well at the box office.

I like it enough to own a DVD copy...

And it is definitely a Chick Flick, so some of you may be excused for not knowing it. Though you may get some points for suggesting it as the subject of a movie night on a cold winter's night. And I don't think you will be disappointed. It is funny, and fun, with a bit of romance, and bit of comedy and a little horror thrown in to keep it interesting. And Bullock and Kidman were young in 1998. (We were all younger in 98!)

The cast is great. Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stackard Channing, and Diane Weist, who I will always love from The Lost Boys. With a great role for Goran Visnjic, and an even better role for Aidan Quinn.

Bullock and Kidman star as two sisters who are the current generation of a long line of witches living in a New England town. Channing and Weist are their aunts. Quinn and Visnjic are the love interests.

I am fairly certain that this movie would never be made today; it isn't formulaic. Not quite.

This is the trailer, which manages to not give too much away, and still capture a bit of the feeling of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.