25 August 2026

27 August 2026 Lunar eclipse

The Hill, of all places, has the info. Lunar eclipse August 2026: What time, how to see it

Unlike the spectacular solar eclipse that was just recently visible in Europe, this one will be safe to view with the naked eye — no special glasses needed.

A lunar eclipse happens when the moon orbits through Earth’s shadow. This month, the eclipse coincides with a full moon, giving us the best view of the shadow moving across the moon.

It has been a number of years since I've seen a full lunar eclipse. Might be interesting if the weather is good.

Click thru for a map of where you can see it. Some level of eclipse will be visible for all of the lower 48 states. Even part of Alaska will get a bit of the partial eclipse. The eastern portion of the US should see the full eclipse.

Blood moons are tied into all kinds of superstitions. I wonder what will kick off on that Thursday. (Hat tip to my sister, who is almost as perpetually online as I am.)

1 comment:

  1. Due to the nature of planets and moons and stuff, lunar eclipses can only occur at full moon. Anything else would be cause for severe concern.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.